Holy Trinity Church
When Queen Etheldreda founded a monastery in Ely in 673 Haddenham – meaning “Haeda’s homestead – was part of her marriage endowment. Ovin, Etheldreda’s minister and steward, who had close connections with the village founded Holy Trinity Church in the same year.
In 1552 it was recorded that the Church was “well equipped”. It had two silver chalices, a silver chrismatory, five great bells in the steeple and a pair of organs, and this at a time when there were only 14 organs in the whole diocese of Ely.
In 1743 a stone bearing the Latin inscription, “Grant O God to Ovin Thy light and rest. Amen” was found being used as a mounting block outside The Three Kings public house near to the church. The stone, now known as Ovin’s Cross, was taken to Ely Cathedral but a replica can be seen in Holy Trinity Church.
The present church is late thirteenth /early fourteenth century with a major restoration by RR Rowe in 1876. The 14th century font is curiously carved and in the south perch stands an earlier and perfectly plain font which was dug up in the churchyard. It is presumed to have belonged to the former church.
In 1897 the Churchyard was enlarged and new gates erected in commemoration of the 60th year of Queen Victoria’s reign.
In 2000 a new meeting room with kitchen facilities was constructed in the North Aisle. The room is largely made of glass so as not to obscure the wall memorials. It was funded in part by the Millennium Commission, East Cambs DC, Haddenham Charities, Haddenham Parish Council and local donors.
For more information see http://www.holytrinityhaddenham.org.uk
The Monumental Inscriptions for Holy Trinity Churchyard are recorded for the years 1677-1894. The Baptist Churchyard is also recorded for the years 1840-95. Both sets of records can be found in the Cambridge Record Office situated in the Shire Hall, Cambridge.
High Street, Haddenham
Supt.Minister: Rev Barbara Garwood 01353 662426
Station Road, Haddenham
Pastor: Rev Jim Mullins 01353 740206
We like to think of ourselves as a family church that is open to and inclusive of all people, regardless of age, experiences, ability or background and as such is one big family!
We come from a variety of denominational and national backgrounds with differing experiences of life and of God’s grace, and we believe that this helps us to be a friendly and welcoming church.
We run a child protection policy called ‘Safe to Grow’ and adhere to the Government’s more general ‘Safe from Harm’ policy, which includes vulnerable adults.
We are a Baptist Church affiliated to the Baptist Union of Great Britain (BUGB) and the Evangelical Alliance